expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sketches from the Van Nuys Collection, "A Bonanza and a War Bird...

A Bonanza and a WarBird

Sitting out in the middle of the pasture were planes from the Hollywood Air Force as well as planes from the Confederate Air Force which I believe changed it’s name to the Commemorative Air Force in 2002. This sketch, I believe dates back to the early eighties, but like many of my sketches which didn’t have my original signature and date,  I decided to insert my type written name and copyrighted date of 2011. Straddling the partially disassembled A-26 Invader on one side is a T-6 “Zero” which was possibly used in the movie “Tora, Tora, Tora,“  Behind the Hollywood “Zero” and not in this sketch was a Vultee BT-15 which was converted rather convincingly to a Japanese "Kate" torpedo bomber.

On the other side, is a Beechcraft Bonanza. Designed by a team after WWII, the model 35 was a relatively fast, low-wing monoplane at a time when most light private aircraft were still made of wood and fabric. The Model 35 had retractable landing gear and a V-tail which made it both efficient and the most distinctive private aircraft in the sky. The prototype 35 Bonanza made its first flight in December 1945, with the first aircraft debuting as 1947 models. In 1982, the V-tail Bonanza was dropped from production, though more than 6,000 V-tail models are still flying today.

2 comments :

  1. This is such a great site! I like the way you set this up! Great content as well! Thanks for sharing this!...Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel, thanks for the kudos. I don't have many "followers" but have many on Facebook who refuse to sign up with an account to comment. Be that as it may, I am glad you felt your time was well spent on my sketch blog.

    I also enjoyed your site though there are so many links that I just did a cursory peruse. I did sign in as a follower and will drop by occasionally to see whatssup!

    ReplyDelete