expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, August 20, 2012

"Finding Lost Art"...




Well, I searched and searched for this sketch that I did in a Boston Starbucks a few months ago. The subject of the sketch was a woman complete in a shawl, high laced up leather boots and a "Aussie" hat, who sat for at least as long as I did plus some time ( she was knitting feverishly when I walked into the cafe to pass some time with a cup of coffee while my wife shopped. )

Since I didn't have much else to do except read Starbucks literature and since she seemed so preoccupied with her knitting and amenable to my sketching her, I looked to find some paper since I didn't bring the sketchbook with me. Never mind that she looked like she was from, well... another country... she was interesting enough for me to sketch!

I decided to used the receipt from the coffee I had just purchased since that was all I had available at the time and naturally, as time passed on and the vacation that spawned this piece was only a memory, I lost it. I thought, surely, I'd find it when I gathered up all my necessary papers, receipts and brochures from the trip, but it was not to be. Eventually, I found it in a zip lock bag where I kept my toiletries for travel and evidently threw the entire bag into my gym bag for use later.

Funny, how things pop up when you've given up looking for them.

After all that investigative work over the period of a month or so, I decided to spray mount it into one of my sketchbooks for safe keeping.

Sometimes, the story of the art is more interesting than the actual art, ha!



Copyright 2012/ Ben Bensen III

No comments :

Post a Comment