expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

"How Come You Never Draw Me?"

Keepin' it Real for Carl...
Just sittin' here watching a matchbox hole in my soul. 
About two weeks ago, a burly, scruffy faced senior, asked me why I never found his face pretty enough to sketch. I hadn't been at the senior center in almost half a year since my mom is now in a nursing home. Carl loves to harass and tease the ladies, and any guys who he knows can handle the teasing.
I took a picture of Carl on my clamshell cellphone because he seemed overly concerned about his bridgework and how it makes his mouth appear crooked. It's one thing to sketch a person that possibly can't sit still, it is another thing when you're sketching a heckler with about a half dozen seniors looking over your shoulder.
I promised I'd get back to him in a week or two as he only visits the center on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Today, Tuesday, I remembered to bring the sketch, but when I walked into the center at lunchtime ( I really should know better! ) everyone asked me to sit down and have a knosh and be a part of the group like mom and I used to. I thanked them, but decided to just sit down and have a cup of coffee. Naturally, they asked about my mother and I let them know how she was getting along at the nursing center... and how she was not. My mother has always been a difficult person to deal with and it only took a few months for other seniors to realize Mimi's true sobriquet. For sure, I pretty much had everyone's sympathy especially Carl's. She was one of Carl's best targets.When they asked me about why I was again visiting without my mother, I showed them my sketch of old codger.

As I did, I noticed a slight groan in their perusal of Carl's likeness. I assumed that they knew all about Carl's denture work and fear, possibly, he wouldn't approve of my interpretation. Instead, they informed me that he was in the hospital with pneumonia. Some folks said, in rather hushed tones, that he was also suffering from prostate problems.
"Darlin, Cynda said, "go see him at the hospital and show him your portrait. I'm sure he'd love to see you and your sketch!"
Everyone agreed and I promised that I would go visit him today, and if not, certainly the next day and that I would also bring the portrait along for him to enjoy. Still, it kinda puts a hole in your soul, ya know?


Ben Bensen III/ Copyright 2015

No comments :

Post a Comment