expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, January 6, 2014

"I'm In Love... Will You Marry Me?"

He'd say with a twinkle in his eye...
"My name is Tony." I'm Jewish!"

"You're Jewish?", I asked feigning astonishment.

"That's wild!" I've never met a Tony that is Jewish!", I said.

"No, you're not," screamed the ladies, but forgetting to close the discussion by reminding him what his real nationality is.

"Yes, I am a Jew and was born in Japan and raised in China," he said with a twinkle in his eye.

Three of the women at the center confirmed he was surely Italian, but they could not remember his last name. They all seemed concerned that I actually was sold by him about his nationality.

But, I was having a little fun at their expense. They didn't know I already had a few run ins with Tony and quickly learn of his shenanigans! Once before, he insisted on dancing, I think it was the "cha cha", with my mom.

Mom, of course, played along.

The next time I saw Tony, he told everyone that he was in love and wanted my mom to marry him! I have to assume that my mom didn't hear him, otherwise, she surely would've given him such a punch!
And, I guess, it was the "cha cha" that threw him into a romantic seizure. You know with that generation, all it takes is a dance partner to have some kind of rhythm to instill romantic thoughts of heavenly marital bliss. It's no wonder why they couldn't understand dances like the frug, the swim, the hully gully, the twist and 'da funky chicken.

No one ever touches one another. That generation barely held each other's hands when they danced.

When I showed him this sketch, he laughed and then complimented my effort. Everyone else wanted to see it and also complimented me on capturing his likeness.

Thanking everyone, who saw the sketch, for their kudos, I began to make my exit and get on with the day. As I started for the door, Tony catches my eye and said…

"You never asked me what my last name is!"

"Oh yeh," I said, expecting some long, rhythmic, multi-syllabic, Italian last name.

"What is it, Tony?" I ask.

"Sakamoto," he said…"Tony Sakamoto!"


Copyright 2014/ Ben Bensen III








No comments :

Post a Comment