expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Just Can't Throw These Away... Number Five!


Well, this is the last of the aviation sketches that were drawn in the past. I've pretty much cleared out my flat files of sketches that pertain to aircraft and I doubt seriously if there are anymore, but this colored sketch is one that I have no idea where it was sketched. It was torn out from a sketchbook and had no signature or date to it, originally.

I did a little investigative work to find out what kind of aircraft this is, but I never was able to definitively put a finger on it. The engine cowling looks like something from a Fairchild or DeHavilland design, but the tail section is from neither companies. It looks like the cockpit was an add-on because all the photos of planes from what seems to be this period, are open cockpit like the Ryan PT-22. Obviously, because it was in yellow, I assume it was a pre-WWII trainer of some sort, but there's nothing else about the sketch that helps define its origin or use.

Okay, so it is just a nice colored sketch that I just can't throw away!

Oh yes, and I must have added the Cessna later for design reasons because I'm not that fast a draftsman to catch an aircraft mid flight, ha!

Copyright 2012/ Ben Bensen III

1 comment :

  1. Hi Ben

    nice works really. I am drawing too and found your blog. So now I am following and looking forward for more. Maybe we will find a way to do some projects together from time to time. I am a "aviation - holic" as well, but drawing animal portraits too, try to come in to 3d arts - using it to create inspiring scenes for drawing and writing stories. So greetings from Europe so far

    ReplyDelete