expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, March 11, 2013

"Oh, To Be Twenty-five Again...

A sketch of a B-25 Mitchell bomber at 1/72 scale...
I was in my son's room the other day and noticed on his bookshelf, which I was dusting, an old model bomber in a state of slight disrepair. I remember making this model to use as reference for a painting I did for the U.S. Air Force. The completed painting was entitled, "To B-25." At that time, the model was in fine shape with little and fragile parts like guns, prop blades, antennas, pitot tubes, etc. still intact. I remember even before I "loaned" my son the model, he expressed an interest in building his own an reading a book or two on the design of this very versatile WWII bomber.

Anyway, this is a drawing of an AirFix B-25J Mitchell complete with clear plastic stand in 1/72nd scale. I used my illustrative prowess to add both engine's prop blades and 50.caliber guns which had been lost by Brian over the many years. The piece was more like a doodle than a rendering because I just mindlessly put pen to paper and it practically produced itself. It took me about forty minutes or so to  complete and given the fact that I was allowing myself to be distracted, I thought it came out looking pretty good... almost good as the original box art, ha!

Which I still have!

Copyright 2013/ Ben Bensen III 



No comments :

Post a Comment