expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

"Ninty-One and Counting"...


Well, Good "Happy New Year" Tuesday, y'all.

Hope no one over celebrated and ushered in 2019 with a headache or hangover.
Yesterday morning on New Years Eve, I decided to share a cup at Gus's with anyone lonely enough or hungry enough to be there. I knew Henry Mauthe (pronounced, "Mo-tay") would be there. He's always there for breakfast since he retired a few months back and celebrated his 91st birthday.
I was in my usual end of the year funk when I noticed that there were quite a few of the regular patrons there. I said my hello's and as I started to pour myself a cup of coffee I noticed Mr. Mauthe was finishing up breakfast and preparing to leave to start the day. I heard one of the regulars wish Mr. Mauthe a Happy New Year. As he approached the door, another friend blurted out...
"Mr.Henry, now you call me if you need a ride home tonight, okay?
I about choked with laughter on my first sip.
"You got my cellphone number, so don't be afraid to call me!"
"Yeh, buzzed driving is drunk driving, ya know?" said another guy!
First cup of the new year!

Copyright Ben Bensen III/ 2019

No comments :

Post a Comment