expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Friday, September 13, 2024

"Not A Patch On His Ass!"

To The Bone...

 Good "Bad To The Bone" Saturday Morning, all bodies.


The other day while watching some baseball game, one of the announcers, it could have been John Smoltz, reference a player as being "bad to the bone!" The statement sent in motion the memories of driving to Pomona and back every day for work.

One of those days, KMET's DJ Jim Ladd, replayed an interview he recorded with George Thorogood. At that time I was just getting into his high energy, raucous blues style of performing. He also liked baseball and had a team named after his band, The Delaware Destroyers. I thought that was pretty cool.

I liked him enough to consider including his first two albums in my collection. But, there were so many other albums that I wanted to buy in the waning years of the Seventies, that I just wasn't sure, Until...

Until, in that interview, Jim Ladd compared his blues style of playing guitar to Eric Clapton's.

"You really think so", George asked.

Jim went into his direct, but rather long winded opinion about the comparison of the two.

"Nah, nah, George said. I can't play the blues like him. I'm not even a patch on his ass, but..."

I perked up and turned the volume a bit louder. I can get behind people that respect that space and who can humble themselves accordingly. It's quite refreshing to see and hear, but...

"But Eric can't hit to the opposite field with men in scoring position," Thorogood laughed and I almost choked on my coffee with laughter.

That sold me!


Copyright 2024/ Ben Bensen III

No comments :

Post a Comment