expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday, August 28, 2019

"Mother Nature's Schedule"

The Laughs On Me...


Good Wednesday Morning, all bodies!
And, so it goes...
The last couple of days I've taken the dawg for some walks around the bird sanctuary. On the last four or five walks gaggles of Canadian geese would split the early morning silence with their honkin' intercoms as the pass from their overnight stays to the east to their favorite ponds and lakes west of here.
Earlier this week, I took my iPad out to the driveway to record a developing storm coming from the south. It was a beautifully painted sunrise everywhere except looking south. Within four attempts to capture the lightning zipping downward, I never once came close.
But, as soon as I turned the camera off, ZAPP!, there's was a bolt or two... Each time.
This morning, I was gonna try my luck at capturing the goosey "V" formations as they cruised by. It was a rather brisk walk passed the bird sanctuary up the slightly elevated Orleans Avenue to Alexandre Street. All the streets in our subdivision have French names like Normandy, Bienville, Pierre, Montmarte, Denise, Chenell. I guess the builder was a Francophile of sorts.
The many times me and our cocker spaniel, Pierre, walked, we'd stop at Alexandre and turn back for home. The beauty of the street is that it is unobstructed by trees which gave me and the dog a great view of the honkers.
As routinely occurred, the birds would flyby between 6:45 and 7:30am and I was there promptly, though already a bit sweaty, at 7am. I waited and waited and waited waving rather perfunctorily to neighbors as they drove by. At 7:20, a school bus arrived to pick up two kids waiting at the corner. The kids waved and the bus driver waved and, with a sigh, I waved back. I was gonna have to put down my coffee mug if these morning greetings continued.
A few minutes after the kids left for school, the sound of geese rang out from the distance, but they passed three or four blocks north of Alexandre.
By a bit passed the half hour, I decided this wasn't gonna happen, so I started back down towards home. A block from my original stand, a formation of geese honked and flew by. Unfortunately, the trees hindered my capturing the entire flight.
In the distance, I could hear another group arriving from the east. As it passed along the line of where I wanted to video, I was conflicted. The thought of all those opportunities lost because I wasn't patient drove me back to Alexandre Street where I patiently pretended to be Marlon Perkins from "Wild Kingdom" days preparing for that perfect shot.
It never came!
At 8:10 am, I reluctantly started back home. Halfway home, another gaggle streamed across the sky. I aimed the camera and shot the geese only momentarily as the passed above the trees.
The playback was hilarious. I just had to laugh at the frustrated "fowl" language that appeared without me realizing it.
Well, Mother Nature has her own schedule that we all have to learn to live by, but that doesn't mean I have to approve.
In fact, as recorded on the discarded video, I was pretty pissed!
Third cup!

No comments :

Post a Comment