expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Sunday, November 29, 2020

"Taking A Closer Look"...

     


Good Monday Morning, y'all...

It was a pretty wet weekend, but in spite of it all I was able to enjoy the weekend by the influx of birds migrating south. On three different mornings, my first steps out of the studio door disturbed a rather large hawk atop our cypress tree.

They always see you first, it seems.

From a distance, I could hear the song of a lone goldfinch. Their song always sounds like the bird is asking a question. I'm sure their nemesis, the small, sharp-shinned hawk, has followed their voyage south. They do it every year.

It's that time of the year to dust off the binoculars and try to remember not to use them with my glasses on. It really gets confusing when I do.

The colder weather has brought out our regular visitors besides the finches. Sapsuckers tapping and circling around the tree trunks, while yellow rumped warblers flit from one branch to another.

With all the rain, along with the appearance of robins, was another type of warbler digging in the soggy lawn looking for drowning worms. The binoculars and the field guides were little help. I just couldn't place the bird in any phylum.

Along with the regular gang of cardinal, jays, chickadees, titmice and nuthatches at the feeder, the cedar waxwings circled nervously in the sky. To see them up close, you have to have some berry bushes and a good pair of light weight binoculars.

It's supposed to freeze tonight, so I added lots of raw peanuts to help them get through the night. The fat content of peanuts helps birds stay warm in colder temperatures.

One of the football games. yesterday, was so bad, I decided to sketch my bird watching ensemble... Tweet, tweet!

First cozy cup, y'all...

Copyright 2020/ Ben Bensen III

No comments :

Post a Comment