expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, March 7, 2022

"Baby, Please Don't Go"...Te

Twenty something...

 Good Wednesday Morning, all bodies.

Two days ago, we went grocery shopping. Somewhere between the organic pineapples and the eight dollar a basket strawberries, I heard a song that I normally would never hear played on the "Muzak" system.
"Bada-lom, bada-da-lada da-dah lom" the guitar riff continued. Pleasantly surprised, I started to sing those lines. Oh yeh, I said to no one. I used to be able to play that tune. I wondered if I still could.
"Well, your mind done gone,
Well, your mind done gone.
Well, your mind done gone,
Left the county farm.
You had the shackles on,
Baby, please don't go"...
It was a band known as "Them" singin' a version of the 1935 blues song. Seems like every time that song is recorded, the lyrics are changed. Twenty minutes later, standing in the checkout line, I'm still humming the guitar riff and singing the opening lines...
"Baby, please don't go!"
Then, the cashier chimes in... "To the county farm, you know I love you so, baby please don't go!" Or something like that. It was kinda hard to hear her version of the lyrics through the Covid mask.
"Whoa, I said to the twenty something year old girl. You know this song?
With a boogie in her shoulders as she rings up the produce, she tells me that she loves the songs of her parents.
"You know...Sixties music!"
"Yeh, my mom and dad always played that kind of music at home,"she said.
"That's pretty darn cool," I replied. I thought about telling her that I used to be able to play that riff on guitar, but decided to keep those days more to myself... As much as possible!
"Yeh, I don't even like my generation's music."
"You're kiddin'," I asked.
"No really. I prefer the music from those days. My mom and dad are in their seventies and still play it!"
"Uh, huh!"
"Yeh, I'm kinda a renegade in some things," she said.
Handing us the receipt, she shimmies her shoulders again, smiles and gives me a thumbs up as we both continue to sing,""Bada-lom, bada-da-lada da-dah lom"...
First humpty-dump cup, y'all.

Copyright 2022/ Ben Bensen III

No comments :

Post a Comment