expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, March 14, 2022

"I Know Who You Are Talking About... What IS His Name?"

New Orleans pianist, James Booker.

 Good Wednesday Morning, all bodies.

I walked into Russell's Marina yesterday after an appointment with a physical therapist to hear the New Orleans R&B song called,"Something You Got" which was written by Chris Kenner. I found it to be rather fortuitous... and funny.
After giving the doctor all of my information, medical and otherwise, I turned the tables on him by asking him how he became a physical therapist. I groaned when he told me that he went to Jesuit, but from that part on it got interesting...
At least to me!
His first exposure to the medical industry was at Charity Hospital in downtown New Orleans. It was called that for a reason and serviced many of the poorer patients in the city... and some of the greater R&B musicians too.
"Who's that guy that played in Fats Domino's band," he asked.
"Oh man," I replied. I know who you are talking about... What IS his name!"
Shame on me because I never did remember his name and neither did the doctor. The stories abound as I mentioned that my brother-in-law worked for many years as the head of the x-ray department there and had the opportunities to meet so many great musicians there. We could have gone to the local brew pub and continue on. So much fun as I attempted to jog my memory.
Who IS that guy? Toussaint, Fess, Fats, Ernie K-Doe, Larry Gueden, Roy Brown, Frogman Henry, Jesse Hill, Art Neville, Lloyd Price, Booker!, Earl Palmer... Chris Kenner!
Yeh, that's it... Chris Kenner. "Something You Got", "Land Of A Thousand Dances", "I Like It Like That!"
Yeh.. NO! With a fourth cup, it all came to me... Dave Bartholomew!
Second Giddy Up cup!

Copyright 2022/Ben Bensen III

No comments :

Post a Comment