expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Friday, January 6, 2023

"How Smart Is Your Light Bulb?"

Behold... A light!

 I walked into the local Home Depot the other day to find a seated man with a 36 inch yardstick swinging it and asking if we need any assistance with our central air and heating home system.

I casually waved him off to head right down the aisle to where the replacement light bulbs were. I mustah seemed a bit dazed and confused at all of the selection of outdoor yard lights and, most especially, the prices. 

So, the salesman, behind the central air and heating desk gets up and saunters my way.

"Can I help you," he said adjusting his black baseball cap with Vietnam Vet proudly displayed.

"Yeh, what's up with all of these "smart exterior" lighting systems?, I asked.

"Do you own a smart home or a smart device?

"I'm just looking for replacing burned out bulbs in my back yard!"

"Oh, he says, do you own an Alexa or any other "smart device" that can automatically turn on or off on your command!"

"No, I said, I just flip the switch on or off... Ya know, analog like!"

He laughs.

"So, Mr. Vietnam Vet, can you enlighten me as to where I need to go to simply purchase two outdoor lights?

"Sure," he says, as he takes me to the place where far down the aisle and down below on the two lower shelves there exists the "old school" bulbs.

"You want 60, 90, or 120 watts?"

"Well, I'm not interested in lighting that's powerful enough to disturb any animals in their midnight rendezvous, ya know?

"Okay, okay, sir, let's go with 120." The prices seem reasonable," I said.

I took two boxes and thank the salesman and laughingly said... 

A smart home, eh. At there prices, I'm glad I still live in a dumb home!

 Copyright 2023/ Ben Bensen III







No comments :

Post a Comment