expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Friday, June 10, 2022

"Egads Fly!"

Egads!

 Good "a bit bugged" Friday Morning, y'all.

Well, we used to get annual visits from the Eastern Kingbirds that would sit along the fences to intercept the flies midair. Their aerobatics are fun to watch and their presence certainly makes a difference, but I haven't seen them around this year.
I decided, after getting bit a second time so far, I'd immortalize the incident with a sketch, but one week later there was still no "gadfly" to torment me... until yesterday morning. In its usual way, the bug zips into the car the moment the door is opened. Then, it flies frantically into every window in the car bouncing off each with a hefty sound until you open up a window to release them.
But not this time.
I never understood why it needs to enter the car only to struggle to get out. The fly zipped pass my nose, hit the driver's side window and then, ricocheted off the rear view mirror to settle itself on the dash board after slamming head long into the dash board window. After a couple of misses with my fist, a karate chop here and a karate chop there, I jammed it in between the door panel and the driver's side window with my elbow.
Fears of crushing the bug were totally unfounded because as soon as I lifted my elbow away from the glass, the fly took off and headed straight into the passenger side window and after bouncing off the dash board window, again settled itself into the crevice.
A momentary truce was called.
A bit later, losing my patience with the idea of not smashing it to smithereens, I threw across the front seats, a folded up small umbrella in hopes of dislodging the bug. For the next five minutes it was truly air to air combat but, at long last, I managed kill the blood sucking beast with one final swat...
... Or so I thought!
First cup!

Copyright 2022/Ben Bensen III


1

No comments :

Post a Comment