expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Friday, July 1, 2022

"My After The Concert Discussion"...

A talented musician...

 Good Friday Morning, all bodies.


The charcoal sketch I created last night is of Shaye Cohn, the unofficial leader of the ragtime band, "Tuba Skinny." I first saw the band on streets the French Quarter back in 2018. Shaye starts up the band by counting down, snapping her fingers and tapping her right leg on the street to the cadence of the music. At that time, I was amazed because she never stopped bouncing her right leg.

At the end of the concert, Saturday night, I waited around till the crowd had left for the doors. I wanted to speak to the band, but mostly, to Shaye. I picked out two cd's that she recommended while grilling her about her musical tastes and the band's relationship each other and the music.

Unfortunately, I found out that the band only accepted Venmo or Paypal to purchase any music. Shaye apologized and then, patiently waited as I fumbled to photograph their QR code and get my Paypal account on line... which I never did.

So embarrassed, I apologized for my online incompetence and told her to forget the purchase.

"I tell you what, Shaye offered, if you promise to pay the twenty dollars for the two cd's as soon as you get home, you can have them."

"Aw Shaye, I don't want'cha to do that. I can get them later at the convenience of both of us," I replied.

"No, it is okay," she reiterated. Just promise you'll pay me when you get home!"

"I promise, but it will take me about hour or so because I no longer live in New Orleans."

Just then, a custodian, wanting to close down the lobby, came by asking if we were ready to go. Shaye nodded, and grabbed her satchel as I, grabbed my two cd's and headed for the doors forgetting that she accepted my offer to take a selfie together.

Well damn, if I would've had my wits about me, I could've just asked the custodian to snap a few before he closed up, I thought, as I headed for the adjacent parking lot.

Although I felt like an idiot, I really couldn't complain. It was a great concert. I had a ball sharing the standing room only space with two women that were visiting from Houston and asking anyone who passed by them for a password to get back to their seats. It was hilarious.

It was also a treat to listen to the cd's as I drove across the Pontchartrain.

And, I did keep my promise when I got home!

First cup! 

Copyright 2022/Ben Bensen III

No comments :

Post a Comment